Death by chocolate: a fatal problem for an inquisitive wild parrot
Gartrell BD, Reid C.
New Zealand Wildlife Health Centre,
Institute of Veterinary,
Animal and Biomedical Sciences,
Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
N Z Vet J. 2007 Jun;55(3):149-51.


CASE HISTORY: An adult male kea (Nestor notabilis) in good body condition was found dead at Aoraki/Mt Cook Village, in the Southern Alps of New Zealand. The bird had previously been involved in behavioural tests of problem-solving ability. CLINICAL AND PATHOLOGICAL FINDINGS: The bird had substantial subcutaneous and abdominal reserves of fat. The crop contained 20 g of what appeared to be dark chocolate; a conservative estimate of the dose of methylxanthines ingested by the bird was 250 mg/kg theobromine, 20 mg/kg caffeine and 3 mg/kg theophylline. Histopathological examination revealed acute degenerative changes to hepatocytes, renal tubules, and cerebrocortical neurons. DIAGNOSIS: Acute combination methylxanthine toxicity after opportunistic ingestion of chocolate. CLINICAL RELEVANCE: This is the first report of the pathological findings of methylxanthine toxicity in a wild parrot, and illustrates the need to ensure that kea are protected from the toxic by-products of human habitation, and the difficulties in ensuring this against a neophilic, inquisitive and innovative parrot.

Food of the gods?
Chocolate hotlinks
PEA and dopamine
Chocolate thoughts
Stoned chocaholics?
PEA and antidepressants
Women's sexual health/chocolate consumption


and further reading

Future Opioids
BLTC Research
Utopian Surgery?
The Abolitionist Project
The Hedonistic Imperative
The Reproductive Revolution
Critique of Huxley's Brave New World

The Good Drug Guide
The Good Drug Guide

The Responsible Parent's Guide
To Healthy Mood Boosters For All The Family